Beacon Hill Partners LLC DBA Startup Stir has adopted a set of information management guidelines which serve as the basis of our customer relationships and privacy policies.
These policies have been compiled to better serve those who are concerned with how their “Personally Identifiable Information” (hereinafter “PII”) is being used by Startup Stir. PII is information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person, or to identify an individual in context. Please read this policy carefully to gain a clear understanding of how we collect, use, protect or otherwise handle your Personally Identifiable Information in accordance with our website, live event programs and affiliated data collection and usage on third party platforms.
FTC Fair Information Practices, Data Breaches & Policy Changes
The United States Federal Trade Commission’s Fair Information Practice Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States and the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Startup Stir believes that understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.
In order to comply with Fair Information Practices, we provide notice and awareness of how your information is being collected, used, and protected. Should a data breach occur or a significant change to this policy be required, we will notify the affected via email within 7 business days.
When do we collect personal information from the people that visit our blog, website, social media channels and live events and what information might we ask for?
We collect your PII whenever you register or attend live events, register for updates on our website, subscribe to emailed newsletters or updates, complete forms or enter information on our website, interact with Startup Stir on social media channels or provide any personals details or information on third party vendor platforms.
You may be asked to enter your name, email address, mailing address, payment details, social media identifiers, or other PII to help with your experience at Startup Stir.
How do we use your information?
We may use any or all of the information we collect from you in the following ways:
- To personalize users’ experiences and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To improve our website in order to better serve you.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other website or event feature.
- To quickly process your transactions.
- To send periodic emails regarding your involvement at Startup Stir or communicate details about other products and services.
- Understand and save user’s preferences for future visits.
- Keep track of advertisements.
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may also use trusted third party services that track this information on our behalf.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. If you disable cookies off, some features of our website will be disabled, and some features and services may not function properly.
Third Party Disclosure
We may, from time to time and at Startup Stir’s sole discretion sell, trade, transmit or otherwise provide outside parties with your name, email, social media account details, online contact identifiers, and other personally identifiable information.
If said information is to be transmitted to third parties in conjunction with event registration or attendance, your name may be provided to select vendors to facilitate building security or check in procedures. For all other event-related disclosures, explicit permission will be requested at the time of registration or attendance. Event attendance will be not be commiserate on participation in information sharing or disclosure.
Acceptance of prizes or giveaways at events constitutes your agreement to disclosure of personally identifiable contact information to facilitate fulfillment.
Third Party Links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites or links.
Our Relationship with Google
Google’s advertising requirements can be summed up by Google’s Advertising Principles. They are put in place to provide a positive experience for users. Additional details on Google’s policies can be found at https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1316548?hl=en. We have not presently enabled Google AdSense on our website, but may do so in the future.
California Online Privacy Protection Act
Pursuant to CalOPPA we set forth the following terms:
- Users can visit our site anonymously
How does our site handle do not track signals?
We honor do not track signals and do not track, plant cookies, or use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under 13, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces COPPA Rules, which spell out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children’s privacy and safety online.
No portion of our website, social channels or live event programming markets to children under 13.
The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 is a law that establishes rules for commercial email and requirements for commercial messages. It gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out penalties for violations. We support and act in accordance with CAN-SPAM regulations.
As such, we may collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
- Process orders and to send information and updates pertaining to orders
- Send additional information related to product and/or services you’ve purchased in the past.
- Provide relevant marketing materials or continue to send emails to you after our original transaction has occurred
In accordance US Federal Law, we agree to the following conditions:
- To NOT use false, or misleading subjects or email addresses
- To identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way
- To include the physical address of our business or site headquarters in mass communcations
- To monitor third party email marketing services for compliance
- To honor all opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly
- To allow users to unsubscribe by using a link at the bottom of each email
Halting Future Communications
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails Startup Stir, you may do so by following the instructions at the bottom of any mass correspondence you receive from us. We will promptly remove you from ALL future correspondence.
No Prejudice to Vendor Policies
No information in these policies is intended to supersede or prejudice the policies of our vendors including Mailchimp.com, Facebook.com, Eventbrite.com, LinkedIn.com, YouTube.com, Twitter.com and other web-based platforms where you may interact with the Startup Stir brand.
Beacon Hill Partners LLC dba Startup Stir
2885 Sanford Ave. SW, Suite 13819
Grandville, MI 49418
sayhi ((at)) startupstir.com
This policiy was last edited on 2015-11-05.